Dataverse FGV: research data management platform based on free software
To preserve its research databases as institutional assets, FGV has just implemented a research data management platform called Dataverse. The project is aligned with the joint goals of FGV’s Library System and Division of Operations.
Designed at Harvard University, Dataverse is completely based on free software, and according to a 2017 report by the Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and Technology, it is the only solution of its type that can publish, cite, analyze and preserve research project data.
In Brazil, the platform is widely used by different institutions, including CIDACS, IBICT, UFRGS, Unicamp, UFABC and FURG, and it is supported by RNP and RDA-Brasil. DATAVERSE has been in use since 2007, and more than 700 institutions now employ it outside Brazil.
In this first implementation phase, as the resource is only available for internal use (intranet), it will not be possible to externally validate public citations.
Benefits from using the tool:
- - Agility in collaborative work. A team of researchers can work online and synchronize alterations when a version of data and/or metadata is complete;
- - Long-term preservation. The platform offers continuous identification for studies and guarantees reliable protection against data obsolescence;
- - Secure data management through access policies;
- - Transparency for compliance with General Data Protection Law. DATAVERSE promotes data governance, facilitating processes in compliance with legislation;
- - Organization and compatibility. The platform has metadata standards to maximize compatibility and optimize searches in the system;
- - Time savings. DATAVERSE has a user-friendly interface for inputting and searching through data;
- - Increase in research visibility (planned for second stage of project). The platform boosts academic recognition of scientific work.
FGV’s Digital Library is documenting some research projects together with those responsible for them. Those interested in participating in this first phase should email firstname.lastname@example.org.